The shitshow circus

Match report – Chang FA Cup preliminary round.

Wednesday 4 October 2023
Thailand National Sports University
Chumphon Campus.

ST Youth FC 2 Chiang Mai FC 1

CMFC starting line-up

Saharat Posri

An embarassing (feeble, dismal spineless and disrespectful, are also acceptable words) afternoon in Chumphon saw Chiang Mai FC knocked out of the Chang FA Cup in the preliminary round with a 2-1 defeat officially to a team called ST Youth, but in reality to the Border Patrol Police unit 41.

Chiang Mai traveled to Chumphon without the club’s owner, without the club’s head coach, without the team manager, without the club captain, without even the team bus, and with none of last week’s starting 11 from the home match against Krabi.

Add to that just four substitutes including the backup goalkeeper and the inevitable impression given was that Chiang Mai FC had no interest in winning this game.

This showed little respect for the home side; for many this was the biggest game of their football careers.

And that was to prove the difference between the teams: one playing with heart and commitment and one looking like it wanted to be somewhere else.

Pasakorn was strong and lively throughout and as early as the 6th minute he brushed aside Suwannapat and Thammayut before Jaturong blocked his shot.

ST Youth took the lead in the 17th minute. Under no pressure Jaturong looked to clear a backpass upfield; his poor connection got no further than the edge of the area where Pattarachanan calmy stroked the ball home.

ST Youth were now playing with a six man back line…only moving forward on the counter attack. Saengthom setting the example with a great block to thwart Amornthep.

Phakphum was fortunate to only receive a yellow card when holding back Pasakorn. It was a rare moment of generosity to the visitors from the officials.

Refereeing a police team in Thailand could be a little intimidating.

Pattarachanon should have added a second heading wide from a fine cross by Pattiyadon when it looked easier to score.

At the other end Nattawat, the ST Youth goalkeeper, almost made a howler misjudging a mishit Thammayut cross and shoveling it onto the crossbar.

Chiang Mai equalized in the 58th minute when Amornthep nodded home Thammayut’s corner with the keeper rooted to his goal line.

Against the run of play ST Youth added a second. Jaturong should have made a comfortable catch from Wuttipan’s long free-kick. Instead he opted to punch; only as far as the edge of the penalty area where Netiphong immediately fired home.

ST Youth were now falling like flies with cramp; but they held on.

Tawan had CMFC’s best chance of an equalizer in injury time when his well struck shot was cleared off the line.

Plenty of fans will no doubt argue that the FACup is nothing more than a distraction from pursuing promotion.

I do not buy into this. A good cup run and a good league position should both be possible. Not now a problem for this season.

A tip of the hat to Supachai (27), the one player to thank the traveling supporters after the game.

Chiang Mai travel home for Sunday’s T2 game against Nakhon Si United. 8th October; 6.30pm at the Municipal Stadium.