Moving on

Sisaket Central Stadium

Chang FA Cup 2022-2023

Wednesday 5 October 2022
Sisaket City 1 Chiang Mai FC 4

Chiang Mai FC:

Saharat Phosri
Kim Bo Yong

Long distance FA Cup game against lowly opposition are rather like one of those home-work out videos; you really do not want to do it but when you finish you usually feel better.

These are banana skins. And Sisaket City are one of the more ambitious amateur clubs and will likely to part of the new T4 semi- professional league next season.

The fact that they have use of one of Thailand’s newest multi-purpose stadiums talks to their ambition.

To add to the adventure the 90 minute drive from Ubon Ratchathani became three hours of navigating through impassable roads and deeply flooded fields. So many people are having a difficult time but they still smiled, offered directions, helped and wanted to take pictures.

As for the Central Stadium pitch, although muddy in places it played reasonably well. The access roads to and around the stadium were however flooded which led to the ban on car or scooter access to the stadium.

Kim Bo Yong played left wing with Gustavsson in the centre and Thannayut on the right side. Clues for Saturday?

Kim, who had a lively first half, scored after just two minutes; running behind the full back Weerapong, to meet Thammayut’s cross with a low header; the goalkeeper would probably have done better if his foot had not taken a huge divot out of the goalmouth.

Chiang Mai should have ended the contest early; Sarawin and Phommin were both guilty of poor long range shots when other, maybe better, options were available.

Wittaya, in the Sisaket goal, saved well from Gustavsson and from Kiadtisak.

Thirty four minutes were gone when Suwit, once again showing an assured left foot, first-timed a ball to Gustavsson on the edge of the penalty area. Gustavsson needed one touch to cushion the ball with his right foot and a second touch to volley the ball home with his left foot. It was a terrific, instinctive finish.

Kim left the field to be replaced by Chatchai.

For the last ten minutes of the first half the home side were allowed back into the match. Pasawat stretching at the far post could only help Chatwanwit’s header over the crossbar. Piyachanok then dealt well with a quality cross, again from Chatwanwit.

Entering injury time; Gustavsson’s run on goal was thwarted by a bouncing ball. Wittaya gathered, his long clearance was flicked on by Wuttichai for Chatwanwit. Wuttichai ran into the area and onto the pass by Chatwanwit which he left-footed past Kiadtiphon.

1-2 at half time and Sisaket knew that were still in the game.

Tawan replaced Gustavsson at half time; his impact was almost immediate. He latched onto a ball wide left; cut into the area; drew the goalkeeper and belted the ball against the crossbar.

Phommin released Chatchai in space on the left of the penalty are. Wittaya did very well to leave his line at pace and block the goal attempt.

Minutes late the goalkeeper did even better throwing himself to the left to turn away Kiadtisak’s shot.

Chiang Mai’s third, after 72 minutes, came from Sarawat as he volleyed home Chatchai’s cross from the left side.

Kiatiphon was injured making a routine low save from Chatwanwit. Possibly a damaged ankle. Narawit briefly making his first appearance of the season as darkness started to quickly fall in the stadium.

Into injury time and Chatchai, who had replaced Kim Bo Yong, in the first half, cut into the penalty area from the left; drew the goalkeeper and a simple pass for Thannayut was met by an assured finish.

The final action saw Wittaya sent off after he ran some 15 yards beyond his penalty area to stop Chanathip. In this case Chanathip was first to the ball and Wittaya’s bodycheck earned him a red card; at which point the referee also blew the final whistle.

4-1 Chiang Mai. It had been a useful workout against a capable, hard-working, opponent.

The first round proper of the FA Cup is on 2 November.